Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Reflections

The same evening as our return from Chail, we all went to the hotel restaurant and had a last dinner together.  A pleasant time to say goodbye to my British and Indian companions.  I know that the Brits will have opportunities to back together in the UK for periodic Blazing Tours weekend rides over the English countryside.  I won't likely see them again but I'll have good recollections.  Perhaps a few email exchanges in the future but that's likely all. 


Prior to dinner, we had also gotten together and each made a 2000 rupee cash contribution to a tip "Kitty" for Baloo and Sanjay. These went into two envelopes and were presented to them at dinner, along with applause.  During the meal I sat next to Sanjay who speaks hardly any English. Nevertheless, I quietly made it clear to him that I wanted to send him additional money to show my personal appreciation for his riding the bike for significant periods during the trip. Several of my UK companions had suggested to me that this was not necessary and that Sanjay's services was just part of the cost of the trip. He was earning his salary along with the tips.  I took no real comfort in this. In my mind I believe:  Express your gratitude both in words and deeds.  Make it real. I've got the financial depth do to so.  Sanjay was a great help for me and did it all with a cheerful grin.  We laughed together several time during the previous two weeks. A good guy.

Sanjay gave me his email and some basic banking numbers. Sort of sketchy.    But later, back in the states, I sent him several emails asking for more info and finally got from him the important routing numbers needed.  Then I used "Wise" to make a secure electronic transfer.   Within 20 minutes after I made the transfer, I received an email back from Sanjay that the money had hit his bank account.  Good! 

I've used Wise for transfers to individuals in Ireland, England, Brazil and now IndiaOver the last year I've maintained a balance in the account in dollars but can send money to recipients in their preferred currency with very low fees. I will probably get the Wise debit card to use for future trips. Their website is HERE   The company is listed on the London Stock Exchange. Wikipedia has an extensive ARTICLE on it.


The next morning I breakfasted downstairs with Damen, Lynn and Paul and we had a relaxed chat.  Damen was heading to Nepal the next morning for a motorcycling event.  He still was nursing the toothache but seemed to be past his crisis. Earlier in the week I think he had been running a fever and looking somewhat ashen at Solang. Not now.  Lynn and Paul were both heading back to England but on separate flights.  Neil and Charlie had already caught an early taxi to the airport for their flight.

I had booked an additional night at the hotel. I prefer to have a little extra slack time on trips. I arrived in India a day early at the beginning of this journey and was now departing a day after the road trip had concluded.  This gave me time to relax, reload my luggage for the airport, nap under the overhead fan, and line up my ducks.  
The following morning I caught a taxi to the Chandigarh airport, checked in my duffle at the baggage desk and worked my way through security and then found a seat near the departure gate. I resigned myself to the three connecting flights back to the states along with layovers.

My luggage got lost on the way home.  After the take off of my last flight, nonstop to Minneapolis, I could tell with on my iPhone that my 'AirTag' within the duffle was still sitting on the tarmac back at the Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris.    36 hours after arriving back home in Western Wisconsin, the duffle showed up on my front porch, delivered by a special 'lost luggage' service.  



After a long sleep in my own bed, I rose the next morning and after breakfast I went out to the shed and got out my push lawn mower, started it up and cut down the tall grass that had grown over the three weeks I'd been gone.  
Two days later I was on my little Honda Rebel, riding on quiet, empty and straight Wisconsin Roads!

Small Engines

Reflections on My Experience

I am very happy with how things turned out .  

The road journey was not a 'Pure' experience.  I didn't ride on the motorcycle for the entire trip as had been anticipated.

But it was a great success by my definition.  

To enjoy a trip (or life) you have to be flexible, adaptive and not cling to Romantic, "Heroic" Projections.  It helps to be positive and keep a sense of humor.  Take things as they come.   I don't hesitate to adjust my plans as I encounter changes in circumstances.  If the situation doesn't allow me to deviate from the plan, I put my head down and make the best of it.  But when I have options and can make reasonable or advisable changes, I will do what makes sense.  History does not hang in the balance!  

I like a certain level of Stress.  A moderate level of anxiety can heighten the experience and burn it deeper into my memory.  I am not an adrenaline junkie. But I do appreciate some intensity and the experience of  'Flow'.  My only problem on this trip was that I often was not experiencing that flow.  My companions with their higher level of motorcycling competence often seemed to be in that state of balance. They enjoyed cutting thru the curves and generally handled the sharp turns as if they were just interesting technical challenges.  I was not at a level of proficiency where I could enjoy these turns as they did..  Often I was hanging on by the seat of my pants as I entered these turns and curves.  So, although I was learning a lot while in the saddle, and have come back home to Wisconsin a MUCH BETTER motorcyclist than when I left, the Himalayan hills presented quite a crash course!   (fortunately, without a crash..)

Flow

I like this definition of Flow:  

"A Flow state is a distinct level of mental consciousness where people are completely immersed in a task and perform at their best. In a flow state, people may feel like time has slowed down, distractions have faded away, and they are operating unconsciously. They may also describe the experience as ecstatic, awe-inspiring, or as if they almost don't exist.

Flow states also occur when there is a balance between the challenge of the task and the person's skill level. If the challenge is too high, people may feel insecure, but if it's too low, they may feel sluggish."

Obviously, I was not in a state of flow much of the time on the motorcycle!  But by getting off the motorcycle when it made sense, I avoided injuries and could find pleasure in the experience.   When the accumulating mental wear got to be too much, I didn't consider these changes from the original plan a reflection of my character.  Rather, I was making adult decisions. I didn't want to slip 'over the line', literally or figuratively.   

I like the "H.A.L.T." admonition: Don't get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. And if you do, don't make irreversible decisions while in those states.  Get hydrated and fed, 'sleep it off', and then look at the situation with fresh eyes.  Have a backup plan.  Know your options and be ready to take them.

Sitting "Shotgun" besides Baloo, I was able to contemplate what was before me, take photos and appreciate the wider scenery. I gained from the experience.  The two contrasting modes---motorcycle and truck---gave me a broader perspective. By riding in the truck I also had the energy and leisure to observe and make mental notes.  The opportunity to step back enriched the overall experience. 

So, I come away from the trip Grateful.  I can emphatically state that it was a great time.

 Back in Wisconsin, I reflect on India and the Himalaya and contemplate possible future destinations and challenges.  For now, I'm going out every few days on either my bicycle or motorcycle and enjoying the breeze in my face....

Thanks for reading!


Straight and Empty Country Roads

I will periodically return to this blog with further thoughts and experiences to share. I am not on the usual social media.   So feel to check out this as well as my "Crazyguyonabike" site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflections

The same evening as our return from Chail, we all went to the hotel restaurant and had a last dinner together.  A pleasant time to say goodb...