Establishing a New Life Chapter
Since early June I have been living with Wena on the west (Occidental) coast of the island of Negros. She was born over 50 years ago within 100 meters of where we are now.
![]() |
| The Island of Negros, Central Philippines |
For nearly 25 years Wena labored "Overseas", first in Taiwan, and later in Singapore. The technical term for this role was that of an "OFW" Overseas Filipino Worker . Nearly 2.5 million Filipino's work overseas in Asia, the Middle East, Europe, North America and in the Maritime Service. They send home over $38 Billion in remittances. This is nearly 12% of the GDP of the Philippines!
![]() |
| Sample OFW Card |
Now Wena has retired from that role. Rather than working for other employers until in her middle 60s, she will be my wife and I will provide for her. We intend to make incremental improvements to her home here in Valladolid, Negroes. In addition, we will officially marry in the USA (Once the visa application process has run it's long course) and then split our time between the Philippines and Western Wisconsin. My hope is to avoid the long dark winters of the Upper Midwest and the hottest period in the Philippines (March-June). At least that's the working theory.
All this is a "Win-Win" for both of us. Neither of us thought we would be married again. I had hoped for this but the dating scene in the USA has become very strange. Too much political and tribal divisions make dating a 'Minefield'. In turn, Wena lived an austere personal life, working for other employers (good people) and quietly saving, sending money home, purchasing land and building (remotely) a house for her family to live in. Now, she can actually enjoy her home without waiting another 10-15 years! Also enjoy exploring the world with me.
In turn, I have a fit, mature, sweet and energetic companion! I have the opportunity to learn about a different culture. I also have the challenge of living in heat and (Biblical!) Humidity! I'm able to venture out on bicycle. I also intend to get a small car (Suzuki minivan) and perhaps a small scooter. In the meantime, I will have the stimulation of living in two different worlds.
We are both committed to living healthy lives with good food, exercise and such.
Now I intend to make frequent entries here, recording some of the interesting aspects of this existence.
I will keep you posted!


No comments:
Post a Comment